Friday, October 28, 2005

Leaving for Azad Kashmir

Dear Friends,

You have heard about the latest disaster in Pakistan, although not the biggest in our history (In 1970 in East Pakistan, then Bangladesh, nearly half a million people perished in a cyclone), it is a catastrophe of an immense proportion described by NYT ‘ as the most difficult rescue operation’ in history.

There is only a three week window of opportunity to help the refugees by setting up IT infrastructure, Muslim burials, tents, latrines, medication, mapping of valleys and villages, and any other relief work. In view of this, I have decided to leave my job and fly to Abbotabad to volunteer with http://Sungi.org, an organization set up by the late Omar Asghar Khan, son of Air Marshal Asghar Khan.

Yes, I am crazy, and I have heard the arguments that just send money, what are you going to do you can’t even change diapers. However, truly there is a need for all able bodied men/women to help the 3.3 million refugees needing shelter form the inevitable snows of Himalayas. Please help in any which way you can. I am flying PIA (which is allowing extra baggage of relief supplies for free) and expect to be up in Mansera/Abbotabad region right after Eid. I am currently buying supplies and collecting money from all well wishers. Here are the supplies needed.

Since I am leaving my job, I am taking cash and putting the rest on my credit cards. I am not tax deductible entity so I don’t expect big checks. Any amount would do, $10, $20, $50. I am assuming if 20 people gave $20 that comes to $400, enough for me to buy enough surgical gloves, pads, masks, chest tubes, etc. I will be buying medicines in Pakistan, antibiotics are available cheaper in Karachi.

1 comment:

Kathleen Callon said...

You are a hero. Good luck. Peace.

Kat